Sometimes You Have To Go Backwards To Go Forwards

 Warning: This story is of a personal nature about women's health.

This Doctor pushed his spectacles up his nose slightly, rummaging through his papers, his brow furrowing. His caterpillar moustache twitching.


"I apologise for the unpreparedness. The computer system is down so I have to rely on the notes in your file."


"It's okay." I smiled. "I know you used to see my mother, so I feel I am in good hands." 


Once he had read through the notes, he asked to examine me, which led to a discussion.


I sat waiting with baited breath for his diagnosis.

"It appears you have what's called a labial fusion. You perhaps were born with it. In terms of your symptoms, they appear consistent with PCOS, but up until now you haven't been able to have an internal ultrasound, so it is hard to confirm. So I am going to send you to have an MRI of your lower abdomen to rule out any anomalies and that way we can also confirm whether you have follicles on your ovaries. I'll also get you a prescription for a estrogen cream to see if that can help the fusion come apart."  


Leaving the doctor's office that day felt like a small celebration. I had a diagnosis with a name. I returned home and headed straight to the internet like any millennial would. I poured over medical journals and articles, looking for people I could relate to, other women who had experienced the same. What I found instead, however, was many articles talking about how this affected the elderly and young girls under five. I found a YouTube video with an adult woman who had the condition, but otherwise there was no one. I trawled Facebook in search of support groups but there were none for adult women with labial fusions. What had started out in my mind as a small win, quickly made me feel like I was losing all over again. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scar

There's Something There That Wasn't There Before

A Definition, Not A Diagnosis